Belluna: Maureen Gunzenhauser, Linda Yip, @kellysdollytalkshow
Mira Monkey: Lisa Giblin, Mindy DeLisi, @dani_guidice
Joey Finds His Jump: @colleensjenkins, Leigh Reader, Awilda Melendez
Princess Naomi Helps a Unicorn: Contest Posted 10/19 and Closes 10/23
Danny, Denny, and the Dancing Dragon Posting 10/22 and Closes 10/25
Petunia Perks Up Posting 10/25 and Closes 10/28
Freya, Fynn, and the Fantastic Flute Posting 10/29 and Closing 10/31
Brielle's Birthday Ball Posting 11/1 and Closing 11/4
The Cat with the Crooked Tail Posting 11/4 and Closing 11/7
This whimsical tale of discovery is so full of joy and wonder. It also opens a door to dance in the most charming and accessible way.
—Peter Boal, Pacific Northwest Ballet's Artistic Director
Another wonderful journey into the imagination with Ballerina Konora, perfect for young dancers everywhere!
Cheerful and heartwarming, this movement adventure will inspire creative expression through imagination.
—Mary Lanni, Librarian
...whimsical storytelling and interactive play to fully engage the reader. Using clever prompts and clear visual representation...while teaching attention to detail as they develop and refine the brain/body connection.
—Garrett Anderson, Ballet Idaho Artistic Director/Father of Three Lively Boys
In effect...a bilingual presentation presented in two languages: that of a traditional story, and its counterpart in movement and exercise.
—D. Donovan, Senior Reviewer, Midwest Book Review
...a story young readers will return to again and again.
An innovative use of dance and storytelling for a fun, child-focused activity.
Children who love to dance and move will look forward to interacting with each new character in these unique stories.
—Mary Lanni, Librarian
Children can learn in a fun and healthy way while enjoying valuable bonding time with their parents...
Each Dance-It-Out! book is an independent story ready for the imagination stage. Every book has it's own unique feel: different sets, costumes, and choreography—just like a new dance performance. More about each published book further below.
• Brielle’s Birthday Ball is a beautiful was-it-all-just-a-dream adventure packed with movement concepts and subtle life lessons. (three generations' collaboration: original story by Grandma)
• Mira Monkey’s Magic Mirror Adventure is Book One of a trilogy of fairy mischief. Mira enjoys the carnival until crazy things happen. Fairies delight and add a secondary movement challenge.
• Princess Naomi Helps a Unicorn includes sibling squabbles, a horse, a snake, and joyful reunions. Gallops, leaps, and muscle activation are just a few of the movement themes.
• Belluna's Big Adventure in the Sky is a quirky celebration of individuality. When Belluna gets swept up by a storm, will she ever make it home again?
• Joey Finds His Jump! is a story of friendship and jumping jubilance.
• Danny, Denny, and the Dancing Dragon features Danny and his new baby brother. While Danny enjoys ballet, the story movements are mostly about interactions with Kadessa the dragon.
• Petunia Perks Up is a relaxing story of meditation and gentle movement. Petunia lets elements of her day spark her imagination, and she finds a peaceful calm. (Movements are simple, but readers may better-engage with an active story as series introduction.)
• The Cat with the Crooked Tail highlights the value of practice, friendship, and a good attitude. Merida Brown, the feline heroine, thinks her tail hinders her abilities. With help from a friend, she proves herself wrong. (Kids might ask for props or want to set up an obstacle course.)
• Danika’s Dancing Day (October) focuses on ballet. Danika creates a performance out of chores, playing outside, and even her dreams. Ballet words are mentioned often; non-dancers may want to start with a different story and build up to this one.
• Freya, Fynn, and the Fantastic Flute (October) features friendly ghosts, bats, and zombies. Will Fynn and Freya manage to tame the creatures? (collaboration with author/choreographer Marjorie Thompson)
• Sadoni Squirrel: Superhero (October) tells the story of how one little critter with superpowers found her sidekick.
• Mira and Marvin's Magic Mirror Mischief (October) (Mira Book 2) recounts how the friends' playdate to experiment with the magic mirror doesn't go quite as planned.
• Mira Monkey and the Fairy’s Ballerina Shoes (November) (Mira Book 3) chronicles what happens when the fairies take their magic mirror back from Mira, but they give her something even better.
• Darlene and the Daring Dancing Dolls (November) follows Darlene as her ordinary life takes an unexpected turn.
• Danaya, Dara, and the Dancing Dragon (November) Same story as Danny, Denny, and the Dancing Dragon, just mixed the genders up.
• Andi's Valentine Tree (February 2022) is a story of a special tree that offers solace for Andi, a dancer and victim of unkindness.
Audio book versions of the first 6 stories coming soon.
*Dates are estimates. Previous dates shifted due to artist sickness including COVID-19.
Each independent Dance-It-Out story is a kids’ dance performance ready for the imagination stage. If you attended a series of shows, you wouldn’t expect identical choreography, costumes or backdrops.
Each book is illustrated by a unique artist and has a different feel and texture because each is a different event. In this way, readers:
The Dance-It-Out collection truly offers an international stage. The illustrators come from all over the world. Using multiple illustrators:
Each Dance-It-Out book has been carefully crafted by a dance teacher with over 20 years' experience and recognized by her local city council for her work with young dancers. For example, a closer look at the book with arguably the least dance...
Along with the subtly-introduced dance concepts, Brielle shows that sleep is necessary and welcomed, and she demonstrates good manners and respect. She reminds us that dancing is joyful, and friendship is a treasure.
There are 15 Dance-It-Out! books in process, with the last expected February 2022. Children who have enjoyed the series might be interested in Dancing Shapes, a series for older children. Instagram tag or email us a picture of your child with 10 Dance-It-Outs!, and we'll send a free Dancing Shapes paperback.